Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What a whirlwind! My first weekend is done and oh goodness! I hope I survive the rest.

We began with a yoga class on Friday night and a brief intro to yoga and each other. There are 8 other people in my class. Mostly women/girls looking to deepen their personal practices, one woman who is already a teacher, just looking to learn kundalini, and one man who is a high school teacher and ex-navy seal who will be teaching yoga at his school. Its an interesting grouping. Our weekly schedule looks something like this:

Friday: 6-7:15 - Hatha Yoga class
7:15-9:30 - Lecture
Saturday: 10:30 - 12:30 - Lecture
12:30 - 2:30 - Intro to Yoga (where we work with beginners, mostly doing yoga for the first time)
2:30-6 - Lecture
Sunday: 12:00 - 3:00 - Lecture
3 - 5 - Teach each other
5-6 - Lecture
Wednesday: 6-9 - Lecture

Outside of these classes we must take 20 hours of yoga practice and, of course, there is reading and homework. Needless to say, I'm tired. Most of our lectures have been on the history of yoga so far. Though we are moving into anatomy and meditation soon. In fact, we have already learned about the vestibular system which lives in your inner ear and manages balance and focus. (Fun Cecily fact: when I was learning to walk, I had a little walker seat with leg holes that I ran around in. Apparently, this contraption didn't allow my vestibular system to develop properly and as a result, I don't have a great idea of how much space I take up and what is around me. I walk into walls to this very day. You know you've seen me do it. I'd also like to take the opportunity attribute my bad driving and clumsiness to that walker thingie.)

No comments:

Post a Comment